Thursday, July 7, 2011

My #1 Dorkiest Quality


So, despite my being a fashionista extraordinaire (har har har), I am a Civil War Reenactor.  Fashion history, as well as it's present has always fascinated me.  Reenacting allows me to make reproduction clothing that will actually get seen.

This year represents the 150th anniversary of the war, and the group I reenact with is preparing for an event in Manassas, VA July 23rd and 24th.  Besides prepping the clothing, making new outfits, and packing our camp gear, I have been doing some reading to prepare mentally as well.

This week I read the book "Washington Square" by Henry James.  It was originally published in 1880, but most of the story takes place just before the Civil War.  It tells the story of a forgettable (meaning dull) heiress, and her love affair with a mercenary gold-digger. The book is fantastic, but what I enjoyed even more was the film adaptation.

The movie was released in 1997, but overall the costumes (while not being perfect) are closer to an accurate portrayal of the time period than those of most other civil war era films (especially Gone with the Wind, those costumes are not even close).  Some of her dresses are rather gaudy, but that is befitting of her character.

Here are some fun photos, but I would definitely recommend viewing the movie to get the full effect.























I will be posting a lot on this era the next month or so, especially after I get back from the event in Virginia.

Happy Thursday Everyone!

Cristina
The Treasure Chest

No comments:

Post a Comment